PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS
001. As I write this, I am about to embark on the long and boring process of changing my bank accounts and superannuation over to different funds. Recently it came to my attention that my current bank and super fund do not have the earths best interests held in their top priorities. Actually it isn't in their priorities at all (they are more concerned with the whole making money and exploiting everything kinda thing). I don't believe that this issue is something that is talked about very often at all, so thanks to my pals at Market Forces I'm about to open your eyes to what YOUR banks and super funds are really doing with your money.
002. Market Forces is the most valuable resource I have come across as an Australian consumer concerned with what my money is being invested in or supporting. They believe that the banks, superannuation funds and governments that have custody of our money should use it to protect not damage our environment. Their work exposes institutions that are financing environmentally destructive projects and help Australian hold these institutions accountable.
003. Did you know that since 2008 the big fours banks (ANZ, Westpac, Comm Bank and NAB) have loaned about $70 BILLION to dirty fossil fuel projects? If you're not with one of the big four, it is still highly likely that your bank is investing in fossil fuels. You can check out the entire list of banks here, and their position with funding fossil fuels. If you are after further information, there is a detailed report on how exactly the banks are using our money to fund dirty fossil fuel here.
004. Don't forget about your superannuation either! I'm only 19 and definitely do not have a huge amount of super from my time in the workforce. I also have about a dozen different super accounts due a dozen different jobs in the past couple of years, but hey that isn't going to stop me! The idea of superannuation is to give people the opportunity to retire with a greater level of comfort and security. But what if our super has been funding the environmental and climate destruction? What if, by being invested in fossil fuels like coal mining and coal seam gas, our super funds deliver us a polluted and dying world to retire into? Check out the Super Switchcampaign, and their list comparing funds here.
005. This movement is fuelled by a growing awareness of how personal finances are exposed to environmentally damaging projects through the banks, super funds and shares. The power of the poeple is greater than the people in power. I believe that your dollar is your vote- all the power is in the consumers. I want to align my money with my values. I want to use my money for a force of good- not one that is destroying the planet. If you do too, please check out Market Forces and switch your funds! Just one small step we can all take to make our planet a better place.