001. Continuing on my journey of only using cruelty free, natural, non-toxic beauty products that create as little waste as possible, I have started to make my own toothpaste and I am super excited to share it with anyone reading this!
002. There are loads of recipes for zero waste natural toothpaste on the web all with different ingredients, but today I am sharing my version. Let’s call it “natural toothpaste for the broke eco-conscious babe.” There are quite a few recipes floating around involving charcoal or bentonite clay, which are really incredible products but not really in my everyday budget. If you can afford it, go for it! Pop it in there for extra whiteness and special minerals. However don’t feel pressured into it; I personally think my recipe does a damn good job at making my pearly whites feel squeaky clean, without breaking the bank too.
003. It comes with making your own of any product that it will be a little different than the product you are used to buying in the store, but don’t let that scare you! This toothpaste is totally not going to foam up like supermarket ones and it may taste a little different. But just give it a go and give yourself sometime to adjust. Making your own beauty products is bad-ass, you don’t have to depend on any big corporations and you get to decide on EVERY ingredient you are putting into your body, which is pretty damn important.
DIY Zero Waste Toothpaste Recipe
- 1 and a ½ tablespoons bi carb soda (purchased in bulk or in cardboard box from supermarket or in bulk)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (in glass jar, so it’s reusable)
- 20-30 drops of peppermint essential oil- make sure it’s food grade because it’s going in your mouth
STEP ONE: measure out ingredients and mix all together (but make sure the coconut oil is melted). I like to make mine in a little jar so I don’t have to bother transferring later!
STEP TWO: apply a little amount on your toothbrush each time you brush your teeth and voila!